About Project 365

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is Year 2 of my Project365 blog. What is a Project 365? It's a photo challenge involving people from all over the world posting one photo per day throughout 2011. Some photographers choose themes, however for now my photos will be totally random. I will be shooting with my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi-18-55mm, 75-300mm zoom and 100mm 2.8 macro lenses. I edit in iPhoto and Photoshop Elements 9. Not all photos are "perfect"; the purpose is to make photography an everyday event.

I am not a professional. Photography has always been a diversion of mine. I am a primary grade teacher and passionate tech. enthusiast. I consider myself an experienced amateur with LOTS to learn!


You will find links to other photographers in the sidebar- do check them out! I have also joined the Flickr EdTech 365/2011 Group, and you can click this link to view the entire pool. I will be posting my photos to their group pool, as well as here on my photo blog. I welcome your constructive criticism!

Guidelines

1. Photos are to be taken in 2011.
2. Post your own work only.
3. Images may be edited or unedited- your choice.
4. Keep your images, text, and comments appropriate for all ages.
5. HAVE FUN!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Photoshop Experiment

Before...
...and after. Okay, a total "cheat"- today's post was not shot today (do you think?), nor was it even shot by me! I inherited this photo of my great-grandfather as part of genealogical research on my dad's side of the family. My great-grandfather was a professional photographer in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and I am lucky to have possession of some of his work. There is also some evidence that he even worked for a time with Francis Stanley (of Stanley Steamer fame) when Stanley was still a photographer and inventor of a photographic dry plate process.
I've recently started taking a class in Photoshop, knowing nothing about it. Our instructor suggested we try "repairing" an old, damaged photo, and this photo quickly came to mind. I know many of my followers are much more versed in the use of Photoshop, but I was really pleased with my first attempt, removing many of the ugly spots that plagued the original. I hope to also improve in my ability to process photos from the 21st century as well!

4 comments:

  1. What a treasure! You did well.

    Blogger has been tossing my comments away,all of a sudden it only works if I accept all cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty impressive work. What an opportunity to be able to restore such a treasured photo. Great way to keep history alive - using the new to restore the old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great family artifact and an interesting story. I'm not accomplished at photo restoration but I know it is a real art. Well done.

    ReplyDelete